March 15th marks your mother’s favourite day of the year, no doubt. The one day she can remind you, guilt-free, of that time she carried you for nine whole months, before delivering you, kicking and screaming, into this world. And that’s all before she began changing your nappy, drying your tears, helping with your homework, dealing with your tantrums and, well, the list goes on. Sure, your dad did his fair share too, but he’ll have his time to shine come June. This Sunday, it’s all about yo momma. As for how to treat her? The choice is yours. Below, we round up the best bits and bobs from budget buys to brilliant blow-outs.
1. Starting with the least expensive (but no less thoughtful) option, you can’t go wrong with a bunch of springtime tulips from Aldi. These Mother’s Day bunches will only set you back €7.49, or you can buy two of the smaller bunches at €2.99 each and create your own bouquet. Nothing makes mammies smile more than flowers.
2. Over at Tesco you can grab yourself an impressive bunch of tulips for €6, Tesco Mother’s Day hidden centre rose cake: €7.99 and a bottle of their Tesco finest Bisol Prosecco for €17.99.
3. For something super cute and Irish and delightfully inexpensive, treat your auld dear (that’ll be Ross O’Carroll Kelly rubbing off on us) to these gorgeous felt coasters from Alljoy at the Irish Design Shop. Get one set for €7.50.
4. Add some candles to your flowers and you’re on to a winner. We love Max Benjamin’s new floral fragrance set featuring their popular French Linen Water, White Pomegranate and Mimosa and Sweet Amber. This will cost you €30 and is available from Arnotts, Brown Thomas, House of Fraser, Kilkenny, Meadows & Byrne, Carraig Donn, gift shops nationwide and online at www.maxbenjamin.ie.
5. Another easy, thoughtful and inexpensive option is to create something for your beloved mother at Photobox.ie. A simple photo mug might do the trick at just €5.99, while a personalised canvas starts from €12. If you want to go all out with the memories, however, opt for their photo book option, from 26 to 100 pages, starting from €46.99.
6. For mothers who can’t get enough of their beauty booty, our friends at GLOSSYBOX have designed the perfect limited edition Mother’s Day special. Treat her to a beauty-filled box of handpicked heroes delivered straight to her doorstep. Give her the gift of some well-deserved ‘me-time’ with the relaxing Scentered Stress Less balm, soothing Urban Apothecary candle and a nourishing Naobay Body Radiance Lotion.,This box is worth over €135 and is priced at €37 + P&P and is available to order from www.glossybox.co.uk while stocks last.
7. For those who want to splash the cash this Mother’s Day, we hear Dior are offering free personalised engravings on all of their perfumes at Brown Thomas this weekend. How sweet!
8. If you’d rather treat your mother to a memorable experience more so than a product type of gift, you can’t go wrong with Afternoon Tea at The Westbury Hotel which, for the day that’s in it, has been enhanced with a blush theme to create a sumptuous Afternoon Tea with a Touch of Blush. Delectable treats including raspberry tiramisu, strawberry macaroons with lime truffle, cherries with vanilla entremets and lemon tart with berry marshmallows are all available as part of the special Mother’s Day menu. This indulgent feast can be enjoyed from the luxurious comfort of Dublin’s most elegant drawing room – The Gallery at The Westbury Hotel–overlooking Grafton Street. €45 per person, €55 with champagne.
9. If you want to go all out with an overnight stay, the Dylan Hotel are offering a special ‘Spoil Mum’ package with prices starting from €259. This package also includes afternoon tea, a full Irish breakfast complete with all the trimings, and a beautiful bubble bath drawn upon your mother’s request.
10. Something all mothers seem to have in common, is a love of cashmere. If you want to give your mum something that lasts, this cashmere wrap from M&S (Rosie Huntington Whitely for Autograph) will earn you some major brownie points. She may even bake you brownies as a thank you.
11. For something she can enjoy at a time that suits her, there’s nothing quite like a pampering session at Dublin’s Dylan Bradshaw. Choose between the luxurious range of db Pamper Package €100, the db Pamper Package ‘Upgrade’ €175, db FACE Make Up Application ‘Get the Look’ €50 or the new superbly presented Dylan Bradshaw Gift Card.