Colourful and delicious, broccoli purée is the perfect accompaniment to grilled chicken or roasted fish. Add a silky spoonful to Gregans’ seared scallops with broccoli, kohlrabi with cashew and lime dressing. Find the recipe for this summer scallop supper in the July/August issue of Image Interiors & Living, on shelf on Thursday, 22nd June. Below chef David Hurley of Gregans Castle Hotel shares his perfect broccoli purée recipe.
1 large shallot finely sliced
I head of broccoli, finely chopped
A handful of washed baby spinach
Salt and pepper
500g vegetable stock
Knob of butter
- Sweat the shallot in the butter with a little salt and pepper until tender, but without colour.
- Add the vegetable stock and bring it to a rolling boil.
- Add the broccoli and cook on a high heat until tender.
- Remove from the heat and add the spinach, stirring for 1 minute until cooked.
- Strain the excess stock from the vegetables but reserve some to adjust the consistency of the purée later if necessary.
- Purée the vegetables in a food processor with a knob of butter until smooth. Adjust the seasoning or consistency as needed.
- Pass through a fine strainer and serve immediately, or chill quickly over ice to preserve the colour if using the purée later.