In preparation for the Christmas big bird roast, try this juicy and light Ottolenghian take on Moroccan roasted quail …
Roasted quail with pomegranate molasses and jewelled couscous
YOU WILL NEED
For the quail
- 1 quail per person
- olive oil
- pomegranate molasses
- sea salt
- cracked black pepper
For The Couscous
- 200g pearl or mograbiah couscous
- 150g pomegranate seeds
- handful of chopped mint
- juice of 1 orange
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180 ̊C/140 ̊C fan/gas mark 3.
- Remove wishbone from quail (best to ask your butcher to do this), smear with some olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove and put some molasses on top and return to oven for another 4-5 minutes until cooked through.
- Cook the couscous according to packet instructions and mix in the remaining ingredients.
- Serve the quail on a bed of couscous and a side of root vegetables.
RECIPES Lesley Tumulty
PHOTOGRAPHY Nathalie Marquez Courtney
STYLING Marlene Wessels